Watch this video to find out how to make this recipe. Click to subscribe for more recipe.
800 grams mutton, cut into 1½ inch pieces on the bone
1½ cups Basmati rice, soaked for 20 minutes and drained
tablespoon raw papaya paste
Salt to taste
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
1½ tablespoons ghee + for drizzling
2 black cardamoms
5-6 green cardamoms
1 inch cinnamon
1 blade mace (javitri)
2 medium onions, sliced
¼ teaspoon turmeric powder
1 teaspoon red chilli powder
1 teaspoon biryani masala + for sprinkling
6-7 fresh coriander sprigs
4-5 fresh mint sprigs + for garnishing
1 inch ginger, cut into thin strips
1 cup yogurt
2-3 tablespoons milk
Few saffron strands
¼ cup browned onions + for garnishing
3-4 fresh mint leaves
1. Put mutton pieces in a bowl. Add raw papaya paste and salt, mix well and refrigerate to marinate overnight.
2. Heat 3-4 cups water in a deep non-stick pan.
3. Adjust salt and add ginger-garlic paste to marinated mutton pieces.
4. Heat 1½ tablespoons ghee in another deep non-stick pan. Add 1 black cardamom, cloves, 3-4 green cardamoms, broken cinnamon, mace and onions and sauté till onions turn golden brown.
5. Add turmeric powder, chilli powder and 1 teaspoon biryani masala to marinated mutton pieces.
6. Chop coriander sprigs and 4-5 mint sprigs, add to mutton pieces alongwith ginger strips and yogurt and mix well. Refrigerate to marinate for 1 hour.
7. Add rice to the boiling water mixture, cover and cook till ½ done.
8. Add marinated mutton pieces alongwith the marinade to onion mixture, mix, cover and cook on medium heat for 1-2 minutes.
9. Add remaining green cardamoms, remaining black cardamom and salt to cooked rice, cover and cook for 1 minute. Drain in a colander.
10. Mix together saffron strands and milk in a bowl.
11. Layer the mutton mixture with cooked rice and reduce heat. Drizzle saffron milk and sprinkle some biryani masala and salt. Spread ¼ cup browned onions and drizzle some ghee on top.
12. Tear mint leaves and spread on top, cover with aluminum foil and cover the pan.
13. Heat a non-stick tawa, place the pan and cook on low heat for 35-40 minutes. Switch off heat and set aside for 10 minutes.
14. Serve hot garnished with some browned onions and a mint sprig.
Click to Subscribe: http://bit.ly/1h0pGXf